Thursday, March 19, 2015

Jill's blog: Pregnancy update: Going into the final stretch (no pun intended ;-)…I’ve definitely had a lot on my mind…

“I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies.” –Psalm 18:1-3

Being a student midwife myself, I have seen lots of “my mamas” thru pregnancy, labor and delivery, and experienced the joy of new life time and time again! That being said, I’ve also seen when things don’t go as planned and what to do when complications arise. Throughout my pregnancy, I’ve had several times where worry and anxiety come as I anticipate the soon arrival of our little man. When I’m feeling scared about the unknowns of birth, I talk with my sweet hubby, Derick, and he always encourages me by speaking God’s truth from the bible and/or praying and asking God to give me peace!

A few weeks ago, God gave me a renewed sense of His peace and joy as I was reading the bible and praying one morning. There are so many uplifting verses, “what time I am afraid, I will trust in you.” (Ps. 56:3-5)…and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” (Phil. 4:7)…”He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength.” (Isaiah 40:29)…”Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” (Ps. 23:4). During my pregnancy, we have taken these inspiring verses (and more!) and created an “Inspirational Board” to have on hand during labor. The board is plastered with 3x5 cards full of bible verses, as well as inspirational quotes and song lyrics handwritten in different colored inks.

I am 39 weeks pregnant now and feeling great! We finished our childbirth classes back in December (Bradley Method, Husband Coached childbirth), and recently had our home visit with our midwives to make sure everything is in order for delivering “Baby Dilly” here at home. Derick is the most supportive hubby one could dream of and has enjoyed getting all the birth and baby things ready to go; the birth pool is set up, the car seat base is in the car, etc. He helps me with my daily pregnancy exercises we learned in childbirth class and also makes sure I’m getting all the nutrients I need by calculating my daily protein intake at the end of the day. We pray for our little guy every day, and then together in the evenings we sing, “Jesus Loves Me,” to him!

As I mentioned, we are planning to have the baby here at home. We have both our homebirth and backup hospital plan hospital plans ready to go! Although I’m not sure where in our house I’ll end up delivering (not set on one way), I am grateful to have all my options available for labor; birth stool, bed, tub, pool, shower, etc. We were so blessed at our recent baby shower to have been gifted with the rest of our birth supplies and the birth pool rental! Our midwives and a few family members are now on call to help in whatever ways we will need them, from labor support to errand runners. As for now, it’s the waiting game! We look forward to meeting our little man soon, seeing his features, cuddling with and kissing him, and we are as ready as we can be for now until God decides to bring him out!

Thank y’all so much for all the well wishes and prayers! We know they make a difference. Keep ‘em coming!

“A woman when she is in travail hath sorrow, because her hour is come: but as soon as she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the anguish, for joy that a man is born into the world.” –John 16:21

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comments! We answer as many of your questions as we can, but due to the number of comments we receive daily, we are unable to answer every one. Our aim is to post all points of view, but we do not post anything that is profane, insulting, derogatory, or in poor taste.